Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Frustrations

There are some days I just want to punch something, cry, and go for a long walk all at the same time. I have been feeling this way since the beginning of the year. When I am angry, frustrated, or sad, I get like this. I am not angry or sad, just frustrated that there isn't enough time to accomplish everything in one day. I don't allow myself get stressed. I actually do quite well handling stress. I have a lot on my plate both personally and professionally at this time.

I usually manage my time quite well. I make lists prioritize them and usually follow them. I need to work off of lists. I have been staying late and coming in on the weekends to catch up on my work. By staying late and coming in on the weekends, I am neglecting somethings in my personal life. It's a vicious cycle.

I was going to watch Sunday's AFC Championship game (Go Patriots!) with my boyfriend and his family, but I am thinking that my time will better spent working during the day and prioritizing my personal life at night. I don't know when I last balanced my checkbook. Don't worry, I check the balance online and have a mental account for everything, but come on, I am an accountant. Even though it's online, I still need to have everything in my check register. It's drilled in me.

I am hoping once my new interns start in little over a week, things will calm down at work. Some of my other co-workers don't understand that my two interns do a lot of work for me. When they aren't here, the work is left up to me. The vicious cycle starts again.

During the summer in college, I was able to walk after dinner. I would go walking/running 10 miles 4-5 times a week. Talk about feeling relieved. I used that time to clear out my mind. I didn some of my best thinking during that time. Once I finished college, my company allowed employees to join a gym at a discounted rate. I enjoyed that time too. The company that I have been with for the past 2.5 years, doesn't have anything like a discounted rate for a gym membership, etc. I am not about to pay those outrageous gym membership fees.

I am also not about to go walking in the New England weather. Yes, the New England winter weather has finally arrived. I left the apartment around 7:00 this morning and it was 10 degrees. Not sure what the temp was if the wind chill was included.

I need to find something to clear my mind and get rid of my frustrations.

2 comments:

don said...

I have a friend who is an accountant and it sounds like you have the same kind of workload that she has.

Thanks for putting me on the side bar!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read your "Frustrated" post. Been there. Done with that.

When people work overtime too often, or too much, they reach a point where they become less efficient which means they need to put in more time to do less work. You have it pinned down when you say vicious cycle. The body and mind need rest to work well. Don't underestimate the value of investing in yourself.

Hope your new interns help you get to the light at the end of your tunnel.